Chorizo and Shrimp Jambalaya
This one pot hearty meal is a delicious blend of big flavors.
• 6oz of chorizo sausage diced
• 1 1/2 cups jumbo or large shrimp, peeled and deveined
• 1 green pepper sliced
• 1 red pepper sliced
• 1 small onion finely sliced
• 2 celery stalks sliced
• 2 tomatoes chopped (can substitute 1 15oz can diced tomatoes)
• 2 garlic cloves crushed
• 1 tsp cayenne pepper
• fresh thyme – about 3 sprigs
• 1 cup long grain rice
• 3 cups chicken broth
• Tabasco sauce
• lime wedge
1. Season peeled and deveined shrimp with 1 tsp of cayenne seasoning.
2. In a dutch oven or large skillet brown chorizo on each side over medium high heat, then remove.
3. Add seasoned shrimp and cook 1-2 minutes on each side, then remove.
4. Add 1 tbsp of olive oil and add garlic stirring for 1 minute.
5. Add peppers, onion and celery. Stir occasionally for about 5 minutes or until soft.
6. Stir in thyme and rice, cook for 1 minute, then add tomatoes and cayenne pepper.
7. Add enough broth to cover the rice.
8. Cover and reduce heat to a low simmer.
9. Stir occasionally and add more broth as needed to cook the rice.
10. Stir in chorizo and shrimp.
11. Serve with a lime wedge and tabasco sauce.