California Eggs Benedict
For a celebratory brunch at home or breakfast any day, this California Eggs Benedict is a perfect addition to the menu. A whole wheat english muffin loaded with fresh veggies, topped with Nicolosi’s Berkshire Black™ Hickory Smoked Bacon, a poached egg and smothered with creamy hollandaise sauce, it’s a dish that is sure to satisfy your appetite.
Total Time | 10 minutes Serves | 4
2 English Muffins cut in half
4 large eggs
1/8 cup distilled white vinegar
a handful of fresh spinach leaves
1 80z package Berkshire Black™ Hickory Smoked Bacon
1 Egg Yolk
1 teaspoon water
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 cup of butter
- Toast the english muffins. Cook the bacon in a frying pan over medium heat until crispy. Place on a paper towel lined plate to remove excess grease.
- To poach the eggs heat a skillet filled with water and the distilled vinegar to the point that small bubbles are forming at the bottom of the pan and some bubbles are starting to rise from the bottom. The water should not be boiling. Maintain this temperature throughout the cooking process.
- Crack an egg into a small bowl. Slowly pour the egg into the water. With a spoon gently swirl the water around the egg in a circular motion so the whites begin to form around the yolk. Follow this process for the next 3 eggs. Let the eggs cook for 4-5 minutes. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon to a paper towel to remove some of the water. Eggs will continue to cook slightly after they are removed from the water.
- To make the Hollandaise sauce, combine egg yolk, water, lemon juice, and a pinch of salt in a food processor. Melt butter in a small saucepan over high heat, swirling constantly, until foaming subsides.
With the food processor on, slowly pour in the melted butter. It should emulsify with the egg yolk and lemon juice. Continue pouring until all butter is added. Sauce should be thick and creamy. Season to taste with salt.
- Assemble by adding a few spinach leaves, a slice of tomato and slivers of avocado onto each english muffin half. Top with 2 pieces of bacon and one poached egg. Pour hollandaise sauce overtop and enjoy!